- Soak lentils in water for at least 4 hours. Drain off the water. In a small pot, bring the soaked lentils and 450gm water to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low, let simmer until lentils are tender and water dries off, about 25-30 mins. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking and prevent sticking to bottom of pot. Add more water if necessary.
- Soak dried chillies in hot water. Once softened, remove and cut into 2-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium. Add mustard seeds and cook until crackle. Then add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds are starting to brown, add onion and cook, stirring often, until slightly brown, about 3 mins. Add garlic and fry until golden brown.
- Add dried chilli, turmeric powder and chilli powder. Stirring constantly, fry until the mixture is aromatic.
- Stir in lentils, tamarind paste and 200gm water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 10-15 mins, until lentils are softened and gravy is thickened.
- Add moringa leaves, stir to combine. Simmer on medium-low for 2-3 mins to wilt the leaves.
- Season with salt. Serve warm.